Occupational Health (OH) services are available to students who are undertaking a healthcare or education course. These courses require the student to attend placements in a workplace where they may be exposed to health risks and may be dealing with a vulnerable population.
In line with national guidelines and standards the Occupational Health department seeks to assist the university to maximise the health and fitness of their healthcare and education student population. We do this by;
- assessing the individual's health prior to study initially using a health screening questionnaire
- recommending adjustments that may assist individuals to reach their potential in their studies
- managing sickness absence and return to study programmes
- providing travel health risk assessments for individuals travelling for study purposes
- providing immunisations to protect students where appropriate*
*Immunisations and blood tests are undertaken on healthcare students to protect the vulnerable individuals they may encounter on placement